Senior Rabbi Sought
SENIOR RABBI SOUGHT
Temple B’nai Abraham, founded in 1853 and one of the largest historically independent congregations in the country, seeks an inspiring visionary and team builder to assume the responsibilities of Senior Rabbi as of July 1, 2019. Our current Senior Rabbi, only the fourth to occupy our pulpit in 120 years, is retiring.
We embrace Judaism from a progressive perspective while recognizing and honoring the strength and validity of tradition. We welcome interfaith and LGBTQ families and individuals.
With approximately 875 member units, an innovative religious school and a vibrant pre-school, Temple B’nai Abraham is a center of energetic Jewish life in Livingston, Short Hills, West Orange and neighboring communities. The membership is multi-generational, dedicated to the synagogue and committed to the social values and actions with which Temple B’nai Abraham has historically been associated.
Religious services and practices – our minhag – reflect an egalitarian respect for tradition, relevance to time and place, creativity, and musicality. An extensive adult education, music and lecture program is offered to members and the public. We are well known as a public forum, where political candidates and other public figures from across the spectrum educate our congregation and the community on issues of current concern. Our teen and adult Tikkun Olam programs serve our most vulnerable populations locally as well as in the New York City area.
In addition to the Senior Rabbi, senior staff includes an Assistant Rabbi and Cantor, the Executive Director, and directors of the religious school and pre-school.
Qualifications of Candidates:
Several years of effective, significant rabbinic experience in Jewish communal and congregational life; previous experience in a large congregational setting especially desirable.
We seek an effective teacher who possesses the ability to make all congregants feel included and cared for, an accomplished speaker with a solid background in Jewish learning, and someone comfortable with the administrative responsibilities of a rabbi in a large synagogue.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Provide leadership to and collaborate with professional senior staff to create a dynamic religious environment.
- Respond to all pastoral needs of congregants; serve as a comforting resource to individuals and families needing counseling, advice and support.
- Interact with and initiate religious, educational and social programming to integrate all generations from pre-schoolers to our oldest members into congregational life.
- Articulate a vision of an American Jewish future for our congregation and the world that can inspire our members and lead us to the forefront of innovation in American Jewish life.
- Work closely and collaboratively with lay leadership to achieve congregational visions and goals.
- Be the public face of Temple B’nai Abraham in the community as a leader on the religious and social issues of our time.
Senior Rabbi Position Date position is available: July 1, 2019
Curriculum vitae or resumes of interested candidates are now being accepted.
Please contact the Chair of the Rabbinical Search Committee: Julie A. Silbermann Email: firstname.lastname@example.org