Social Action CommitteeTikkun Olam
Social Action Committee Programs
The goal of Social Action Committee (SAC) is to provide TBA congregants the opportunity to take part in Tikkun Olam (healing the world) and perform hands-on mitzvot and activities. We will have volunteer opportunities for adults, youngsters, families, and individuals. Many of our programs are in partnership with other groups at TBA and I hope that you will find something of interest and get involved either directly through SAC or through another committee, constituency group, or religious school. You do not need to join SAC to volunteer for activities. Our goal is to be a conduit for providing meaningful opportunities and experiences for Temple members and friends.
Tikkun Olam (healing the world) has long been a watchword of the Temple’s Social Action Committee. From the days in Newark to the present, through a myriad of hands-on mitzvot and activities the Social Action Committee has engaged members of all ages in acts of loving kindness and the pursuit of justice, assisting the poor and disadvantaged, dialoguing with other faiths, assuming stewardship of the environment and supporting Israel. The Social Action Committee’s Green Team led the congregation in pursuit of an environmental certification from the interfaith coalition, GreenFaith which encompasses building practices, education, worship and community outreach.
Here is a sampling of our upcoming activities. Please let me know if there is something for which you would like to volunteer and/or if you have ideas for new programs and events:
Hello TBA Members! Below you will find a variety of programs we are enthusiastically working on. We hope that you can participate by a myriad of ways like attending, or assisting, or volunteering or supporting. We are hoping to keep this section fresh with all of the latest happenings not only around TBA but within our community. Please share your thoughts with us. We want to hear from you!
- Annual High Holiday Food Drive Outreach: See letter from CHOW→
- Shabbat Dinner in the Sukkah (joint event with Sisterhood)
- Turkey & All the Trimmings Food Drive
- Cafe 5000/Community Meal Program: The Social Action Committee joined our partners, the NAACP of the Oranges and Maplewood and Elmwood United Presbyterian Church, in Café 5000, an effort in which we gathered at the church to serve a hot meal to the needy population in the area. TBA no longer participates in Café 5000. Look for details for other volunteer opportunities in community meal programs in the future.
- Green Team/Environmental Awareness: On-going
- Big Brother/Big Sister Partnership: On-going
- Social Justice Awareness and Campaigns (such as Gun Safety and Human Trafficking): On-going
- Women’s Interfaith Forum: January 17, 2018
- Mitzvah Morning: March 4, 2018
High Holy Day Food Drive 2017
Thank you letter from CHOW
for the generous donations from the
TBA congregational family.