The goal of Social Action/Tikkun Olam Committee (SAC/TO), is to provide TBA congregants the opportunity to take part in Tikkun Olam (healing the world) and perform hands-on mitzvot and activities. We will have volunteer opportunities for adults, youngsters, families, and individuals. Many of our programs are in partnership with other groups at TBA and I hope that you will find something of interest and get involved either directly through SAC/TO or through another committee, constituency group, or religious school. You do not need to join SAC/TO to volunteer for activities. Our goal is to be a conduit for providing meaningful opportunities and experiences for Temple members and friends.
Tikkun Olam (healing the world) has long been a watchword of the Temple’s Social Action Committee. From the days in Newark to the present, through a myriad of hands-on mitzvot and activities the Social Action Committee has engaged members of all ages in acts of loving kindness and the pursuit of justice, assisting the poor and disadvantaged, dialoguing with other faiths, assuming stewardship of the environment and supporting Israel. The Social Action Committee’s Green Team led the congregation in pursuit of an environmental certification from the interfaith coalition, GreenFaith which encompasses building practices, education, worship and community outreach.
Here is a sampling of our upcoming activities. Please let me know if there is something for which you would like to volunteer and/or if you have ideas for new programs and events:
- Interfaith Hospitality Network (IHN) Hosting
- Green Team/Environmental Awareness: On-Going
- Big Brother/Big Sister Partnership: On-going
- Social Justice Awareness and Campaigns (such as Gun Safety and Human Trafficking): On-going
- Women’s Interfaith Forum, January 18, 2017
- Mitzvah Morning, Sunday, April 2
- Volunteer to help a local resettled Syrian Family, on-going
- Cafe 5000/Community Meal program, Monthly on the 4th Sunday